Ayurveda provides unparalleled, wholesome and an integral approach towards the treatment of Kati-Shoola / Kati-Graha(Back Pain Low / Lumbago) and Gridhrasi (Sciatica).
Below mentioned are some of the options available for you to try to get rid of your acute or chronic low back pain in consultation with your Ayurveda Doctor-
External Treatment options:
- Massage with medicated oil / oils / oil+ghee etc. This is followed by Swedana (hot or warm fomentation / steaming). The choice of the Swedana depends on the decision of the physician as per the condition of the disease and the diseased.
- Swedana:Swedana means to induce sweating. It is done by providing hot fomentation or steaming. There are many types of Swedana as per Ayurveda texts and only a few are clinically practiced.Swedana is generally carried over after Abhyanga. Among the very popular ones are the below mentioned:
- Bashpa Sweda – Steam fomentation. This is done especially when the Abhyanga has been given to the whole body and when Back Pain Low is a part of a multi-articular arthritis or any systemic neuro-muscular or musculo-skeletal disorders.
- Pinda Sweda (Bolus Fomentation) – In this medicaments, generally hot or boiled to tolerable temperature are tied in a cloth to make a bolus. Heat is provided to the affected part. It is generally a local fomentation. Pinda Sweda gets its name depending on what is filled in the bolus Ex. Choorna Pinda Sweda (Herbal Powders), Patra Pinda Sweda (Leaves of medicinal herbs which have pain-relieving and anti-inflamatory properties), Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda (Rice and grains boiled in medicated milk), Valuka-Sweda (Sand) etc
- Kati Basti / Kati Vasti:
- Oil pooling in the Lumbo Sacral region after constructing a cabin or compartment to hold the medicated oil / mixture of oils (and ghee). The temperature of the oil is kept constant during the treatment schedule. The procedure is carried out for duration of 30-45 minutes. The treatment may be combined with a simultaneous course of Pinda Sweda(Bolus fomentation)
- Kati Pichu:
- A larger piece of Cotton swab is dipped in the medicated oil, kept in the affected part, bandaged and left in site for a prescribed period before it is removed. This is carried on a regular basis.
- Medicated pastes are applied to the affected area and are allowed to stay in site for a prescribed period. The Lepa may be hot, warm or cold depending on the disease and the Dosha involved
- Medicated poultices are tied to the affected area of the back just as in Lepa
- Medicated oil is poured in small streams over the affected part for a prescribed time. The temperature of the oil / ghee is kept constant
- Sitz Bath is done by sitting in a tub such that the low back region is immersed in the medicated oil, ghee, decoction or milk filled in the tub
Internal Treatment Options:
This includes some of the Panchakarma treatment procedures which should be skilfully chosen as per the condition of the disease and the diseased.
Among these the below mentioned are highly effective in combating Low Back Pain and stiffness with special reference toKati Shoola / Kati Graha –
- Virechana – Therapeutic Purgation
- Vasti – Medicated Enemas
- Vamana – Therapeutic Emesis (Vomiting) in selected cases